The Committee on Revision of the Penal Code has released its first Annual Report. The report describes the Committee's work and recommendations for 2020.
The recommendations are:
- Eliminate incarceration and reduce fines and fees for certain traffic offenses.
- Require that short prison sentences be served in county jails.
- End mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent offenses.
- Establish that low-value thefts without serious injury or use of a weapon are misdemeanors.
- Provide guidance for judges considering sentence enhancements.
- Limit gang enhancements to the most dangerous offenses.
- Retroactively apply sentence enhancements previously repealed by the Legislature.
- Equalize custody credits for people who committed the same offenses, regardless of where or when they are incarcerated.
- Clarify parole suitability standards to focus on risk of future violent or serious offenses.
- Establish judicial process for “second look” resentencing.
Information about the Committee's work can be found through the navigational menu (above) or by using the site map (below).